The Cathedral’s 13 bells, largest in Wales
What Is Bell Ringing?
Bell ringing is first and foremost a lot of fun! Ringing takes place every week prior to Sunday morning (9.45 to 10.30 a.m.) and evening services (5.15 to 6.30 p.m.). Sometimes a quarter peal will be rung, giving a shorter performance of 40-50 minutes. The Cathedral ringers try to arrange for a quarter peal to be rung prior to Sunday Evensong, often utilising ringers from other towers in the area.
At other times, the session will comprise a series of short bursts of ringing of 5-10 minutes duration, using different numbers of bells and changing the ringers round, under the direction of the Tower Warden. This is known as “general ringing”.
Sometimes a specific long piece of ringing will be organised. This may be a full peal of just over 5000 changes, which will last for 3-3 ½ hours. The organiser will invite the exact number of ringers required for the performance, which is rung without pause.
Join the Bell Ringers!
There is a dedicated team of regular Sunday ringers. There is regular practice on Tuesday evenings from 7.15 to 9.00 p.m. People interested in visiting the tower to see the band ringing or interested in learning to ring are always welcome. Please contact the Cathedral Administrator.
The history of the present bells started in 1913, when a new ring of 10 bells was installed in the tower by Taylors of Loughborough. In 1939, two trebles were added and the smallest three bells were recast by Gillett and Johnson of Croydon to create the first ring of 12 bells in Wales. The semi-tone bell was add by the Whitechapel Bell Foundry of London in 1989, and these 13 bells remain the largest in Wales.